Our junior productions are specifically designed to nurture the passion of theatre and prepare kids for the spotlight whether they are new to the world of theatre or a seasoned pro. These productions are tailored to teach students the principles of singing, acting, and dancing in an incredibly fun and educational environment.
Admittance to junior productions consists of an audition process and tuition fee of $400 ($375 when paid in full). Rehearsals vary upon production but typically are held once a week for ten weeks. The rehearsal process ends with a full-fledged production complete with all the theatrics you would expect from a Broadway show.
AUDITIONS FOR THE SOUND OF MUSIC: G2K EDITION AND AVENUE Q: SCHOOL EDITION ARE SCHEDULED FOR SATURDAY, AUGUST 18TH FROM 9 AM TO 4 PM!
- Auditions are held in groups, for an hour at a time, and are segregated by form of vocal accompaniment. For example, a 9 am time slot could be reserved for a group of students accompanied by audio track for their vocal audition, while a 12 pm slot could be reserved for students bringing sheet music for a pianist.
- The duration of every vocal selection should be between 16 and 32 bars of music, or no more than one minute long.
- If your child's preference is to sing along with an audio track, sign up for a time slot reserved for such, and you will be given a selection of three songs to choose from.
- On the day of auditions, the Woodlawn APA will provide your selected track for you.
- Students ages 14 and above are required to bring sheet music as their form of accompaniment.
- Be sure to confirm that you are signing up for the right time slot for your choice of vocal accompaniment.
- Students will ONLY have to prepare their vocal selection! A dance audition will take place, though our choreographers will prepare a short movement for the group for assessment.
Casting will take roughly a week and you will be emailed audition results at the earliest possible convenience. Please refrain from inquiring about audition results until one full week after the date.
There will be a Mini and Junior Cast for THE SOUND OF MUSIC: G2K EDITION. There is only one cast for AVENUE Q: SCHOOL EDITION. Casts are divided strictly by age. Students between the ages of 5 and 13 (as of September 1, 2018) will be considered for THE SOUND OF MUSIC: G2K EDITION. Students 13+ (as of September 1, 2018) will be considered for AVENUE Q: SCHOOL EDITION.
PLEASE NOTE: The original version of AVENUE Q consists of many mature themes. The School Edition has been edited, though some mature themes still remain. Please visit the show's Music Theatre International page for some specific changes.
Rehearsals and Shows
Rehearsals for all casts begin Saturday, September 1, 2018. There will be NO rehearsal on September 22, 2018, due to the Annual Woodlawn Theatre Gala. Additional rehearsal notes below.
AVENUE Q: SCHOOL EDITION REHEARSALS
- Saturdays 2:30 - 5:30 pm
- Wednesday, September 5th, 5:30 - 8:30 pm
- Monday, September 10th, 5:30 - 8:30 pm
- Wednesday, September 12th, 5:30 - 8:30 pm
AVENUE Q: SCHOOL EDITION MANDATORY TECH WEEK
- Sunday, October 14th, 5:30 - 8:30 pm (Students will be invited to watch mainstage matinee, and a potluck/gift exchange with that cast will take place before this rehearsal.)
- Monday, October 15th, 5:30 - 8:30 pm
- Tuesday, October 16th, 5:30 - 8:30 pm
- Wednesday, October 17th, 5:30 - 8:30 pm
AVENUE Q: SCHOOL EDITION SHOWS
- Thursday, October 18th, 7 pm
- Saturday, October 20th, 2 pm
- Sunday, October 21st, 7 pm
THE SOUND OF MUSIC: G2K EDITION REHEARSALS
- Saturdays, 10:30 am - 1:30 pm
THE SOUND OF MUSIC: G2K EDITION MANDATORY TECH WEEK
- Minis: TBD week of January 14th, 2019
- Juniors: TBD week of January 21st, 2019
THE SOUND OF MUSIC: G2K EDITION SHOWS
- Minis: Friday, January 18, 2019 at 7 pm // Saturday, January 19, 2019 at 7 pm // Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 2 pm
- Juniors: Friday, January 25, 2019 at 7 pm // Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 7 pm // Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 2 pm
A final calendar will be received at the mandatory Parent Orientation on the first day of rehearsal. Dates above are subject to change based on need.
ATTENDANCE IS KEY: The Woodlawn Academy takes pride in the high production value of our youth shows, and they receive equal priority to our mainstage productions. The productions are challenging material, and take a moderate to high level of commitment. Attendance to every rehearsal is crucial. Substantial absences or conflicts will result in recasting. More information on recasting and attendance at Parent Orientation.
Please contact us at 210-816-6341 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Tuesday through Thursday 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays and Sundays the Academy is either CLOSED or staff is busy with classes.